Saturday, October 6, 2012

Let the wild relaxation begin!

I love Maurice Sendak with all of my heart (except for the parts that are reserved for the Muppets and Russell & Lillian Hoban), but seriously, "Let the wild rumpus begin!" sounds 10 billion times more exciting than "Let the wild rumpus start!" You need an extra syllable in there, Sendak. Get it together, bro.

Today marks the beginning of Fall Break! I have been so stressed and exhausted this past week, folks, you don't even know. After dance on Thursday, I was too tired to smile, so the contented rush that comes from a really good dance class was lost! What a shame! But now I am on break, and my break started (as all good breaks should) with a trip to the library.

I finally signed up for a Forbes library card, and I have to say that library is stunningly beautiful. It's like the Utica, NY train station: beauty where you least expect it. I've embarked upon an incredible journey this weekend. I am beginning Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. So far I'm about 2/3 of the way into The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents, which is really good in a horrifying sort of way. No wonder Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett work so well together. They both seem to enjoy seeing how much horror you can pull off when your writing is very compelling. Undoubtedly this series will leave me weeping, but I'm still going to read it....just like how Season 7 of Doctor Who is making me whimper with sadness, but that hasn't stopped me from watching it.

You know what they say: vacations don't count unless they leave you cringing and sobbing in a corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment