Sunday, November 4, 2012

Smoothing out the wrinkles

Tomorrow is the adjudication for the Bare Bones concert-- for all intents and purposes, a super important audition. I was having mini panic attacks thinking about it, and worrying about it, and worrying that it's Monday evening right now and I forgot to go, and I worked myself up into knots of anxiety when I decided to read my favorite book and take a bath.

I Capture the Castle is a book I keep around just in case I need comfort. Normally when I have a problem I talk to my sisters, but since this isn't a problem that they can help me solve, it makes sense to turn to a book. When I picked it up this weekend I had the happy realization that the character Neil kind of reminds me of my brother-in-law (which is complicated in the context of the plot, but I'm talking about the character alone). I swear I wasn't trying to make that happen, but I'm glad that it did.

Lying in the bath calmed me down significantly, and reading the tail end of the novel completely took my mind off my worries. I consider myself very fortunate that my stress and anxiety is often dispelled by cups of hot tea, guided meditation, or taking a dance class. At the end of such activities I have a fresh perspective and feel at least somewhat revived. It's good to be so easy to please.

No comments:

Post a Comment