Sunday, March 3, 2013

Changes

This week there was an article in the Sophian that (in the typical manner of the Sophian) had one main idea and spent about half a page rehashing and rephrasing it. (I know they have a lot of space to fill and rarely much material to work with, but it's the literary equivalent of processing emotions, which is an unfortunate motif for a newspaper. I like the Sophian, and it makes me sad that such high-quality writers are reduced to this.) This article was processing the notion of winter burnout and how the cold and dark makes fools of us all, so to beat the winter blues, one must vary one's routine. Any other time, this notion would be abhorrent to me, as I love routine more than any other abstract concept, but I could use a little variation right about now. Joining an org was my first big step outside my comfort zone (and it was one of the best decisions I've made all year), and this weekend, I took a few more steps in a different direction.

Every weekend, the Smith Events Committee screens recently released films, and they're often pretty good, but I've never been to one. On Friday nights, my friends and I usually stay in and hibernate, but recently, Friday night has turned into date night. Erika and Steve went out (separately, thank goodness; there's a layer of drama safely avoided) and Alice and I went to Weinstein Auditorium to see Moonrise Kingdom.

My dad likes to rant about how the students in his "Lawyers in Movies" class always watch the movies on their computers and thus miss out on an integral experience of film, and I'm going to make his day by saying he's absolutely right. I've watched many a movie huddled around a computer and many more movies on a TV, and there's no comparison: watching on a TV is better, and watching on a big screen is best of all. There's nothing about Moonrise Kingdom that I don't love, and watching it in a chair (rather than on the floor) without having to squint was a really nice experience. It was also interesting because I laughed out loud at a lot of parts I previously didn't find funny, because everyone else was laughing and that made my interpretation of the movie become more relaxed. I usually take everything as seriously as the characters, and it was a totally different viewing experience when I took that step back.

The article specifically stressed the importance of studying in a different place as a good way to keep it fresh, and I've been doing just that. My usual study spot is a soundproof room in Josten library, but since Valentine's Day I've spent a lot of time studying in the Campus Center Cafe. The booths are really comfy and I usually get a lot done when I'm there, plus my new location has given me the chance for another new experience. Yesterday I went to Smith To-Do! There are crafts offered every Saturday evening, and I've never been, despite the fact that the crafts are usually kind of awesome (making lava lamps, Chinese fans, and decorating wooden animals are some examples). Yesterday the craft was decorating T-shirts, and I took the opportunity to make part of my costume for Spelling Bee. My shirt was bright orange, and I added a green leaf decorated with puffy paint and a bear face with enormous paws. It was so much fun! I've missed crafting.

Hibernation is over. It's time for me to come outside all skinny and chilly with tousled bed-fur to experience the world. So far it's been pretty good.

2 comments: