Thursday, January 3, 2013

2013

My aunt has declared that this is to be the year of personal growth, and I've been thinking about how I can encourage myself to grow personally for the past three or four days. I think what I really need to do is learn to walk the line. I've never been very good at balance; in order to achieve my goals I tend to go overboard into "maniacally driven" territory. Anyone who's seen me in the kitchen at crunch time can attest to this: my focus narrows to just the task at hand and I don't waste energy on things like smiling. This may contribute to my reputation for being terrifying.

In high school I didn't really have to worry about balancing personal relationships and work because I simply operated in different spheres. I saw school friends at school and dance friends at dance and those friendships didn't take up any more of my time than the activity at hand when we interacted. Now things are different. It was weeks before I completely adjusted to seeing my friends during the week, outside of classes. But because it's so novel, I'm not used to sharing time between friends and work. I'm good at prioritizing when one thing can take up all my energy, but that really doesn't work in college when you have two papers and a problem set due on the same day, and of course you can't abandon your friends for weeks until you're finished. I have to work on that for sure.

I might just be thinking about this too hard. The personal growth might just sneak up on me. I think that'll be my game plan here.

No comments:

Post a Comment