Friday, January 25, 2013

I think ur a contra

This is such old news, but I did a thing! I went contra dancing last weekend! My friend April who is completely lovely (albeit elusive; she's in the sciences....as am I, I suppose, though to a much lesser extent) posted on Facebook about a contra dance in Greenfield, and I decided to go. A friend of April's from UMass gave us a lift, and over the 20 minute drive I turned on my most charming personality. Apart from the driver, there were two Smithies who I had never met, one I did not know very well, one who I consider a good friend, and one with whom I would like to be friends, but that's kind of a work in progress. I really didn't get out much during J-term, so these ladies were the first new people with whom I had spoken in quite a while. They were all really nice, and most of them were wearing long, twirly skirts, which made me feel a bit like I had missed a memo, but whatever.

Before Saturday, the last time I went contra dancing was last New Year's, with my mom and Caroline. There was contra dancing at the Smart's wedding, and as a bridesmaid, I felt honor-bound to talk everyone into dancing. I did this at the Unirondack wedding I worked over the summer, too, but that wasn't contra dancing, so it was a little harder. The best way to acquire a wallflower, I have found, is to wear something low-cut, approach with confidence, smile a lot, and when you ask if they want to dance, appear confident that they won't say no. The only people who have resisted my encouragement are people with actual injuries preventing movement. But at an actual contra dance, everybody wants to be there, so that aspect of the evening is unnecessary.

The band was great--there was a tuba! And the caller was pretty good, too, but there was one major flaw in her technique. In case you've never been to a contra dance, when a new dance is introduced, the caller talks you through it, so you and your partner will know what to do before the music starts. It's like marking a combination in a regular dance class. I'm a quick study usually, but in the past, every caller at every dance I've attended has covered the marking parts really thoroughly. I guess all these people were regulars, because the caller kept referencing moves that I had never heard before, and everyone just rolled with it. As a result, I looked like I didn't know what I was doing (and just as the cherry on top, every one of my partners asked if I was a student and what I studied, so I looked extra incompetent). It was fun, but I got kind of frustrated toward the end. Here's hoping my first ballet class in a year and a half doesn't end the same way.

Still, the evening was really fun, I met a lot of cool people, and I think I'll go back again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment