Thursday, May 10, 2012

Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo: the local movement

For my first Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo installment, I'd like to discuss something very dear to my heart: the local movement. I don't mean local foods, although that's also very popular: I mean local businesses. It's not news to anyone that small businesses have it tough these days. Chain restaurants and giant superstores make it hard for a small, family-owned business to survive, especially in the United States.

But not in Buffalo!


In Buffalo, local restaurants have the edge. A few years ago, just a few blocks away from my house, Elmwood Tacos and Subs was so popular that it actually put a Burger King out of business. The majority of restaurants in the city are locally owned and keep money in the local economy (as you can see from the poster above). 

Money! In the local economy! Y'all realize what this means. The citizens of Buffalo are doing their bit to help the city, one sandwich at a time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment