Friday, September 21, 2012

Free radicals and tannins, just the thing for heating the synapses

I like to come home to a cup of tea at the end of the day, and lately I've noticed that the kind of tea I want is a good indicator of the kind of day I've had. Lately my first choice has been Earl Gray, which pretty much means that my day has been long. On Wednesday, when I had to go to Hampshire at 7pm and waited for the bus for an hour (although talking to Emily on the phone passed the time wonderfully. I got so many dirty looks when I said I think children should learn how to work within the establishment), Alice offered to make me tea. When she asked me what I wanted, I knew I wanted something fragrant, because I had worked at the daycare center that day and all I had smelled for hours was bleach and urine. (No romantic ideas about babies over here.) She made me a cup of jasmine, which was the best thing I had smelled all day.

Today Baldwin went to the Alumnae House for tea, which was very nice and everything was fancy. I can't imagine what it would be like to stay in the Alumnae House, but I'm sure it would make me feel either very wealthy or very poor. I spend a lot of time thinking about what I would serve people if I ever had a formal tea. Of course, the menu varies a little, depending on the season, but some of the absolutes include: currant scones, lemon curd, and clotted cream. If I ever host a real tea, I think I will actually make a raspberry jelly roll cake, because when else are you going to do it?
My teas will be legend--wait for it....pass the cream I think this tea needs a little DARY! Yes. I went there.

No comments:

Post a Comment