Monday, September 17, 2012

Master of my fate

I have gone through a few places of employment in my young life, and I have had a variety of interesting bosses and supervisors. They have been sadistic, incompetent, kind, capable, or some mixture of the aforesaid traits. However, my current boss is really wonderful, because not only is she courteous to her workers, she is also really good at her job. She kind of reminds me of Tina Fey, but I think that's just the haircut and the fact that they both have husbands named Jeff.
As far as I can tell, she never planned on working at a daycare center; she grew up on a Minnesota farm with six siblings. (Speaking of which, I finally worked up the courage to ask her, and it is true that in Minnesota, they put mayonnaise on everything.) She moved to Massachusetts because her then-boyfriend now-husband is getting his doctorate at UMass. The other two teachers in my group have similar "my man was moving here, so I went with him" stories, and this fascinates me. They talk about this like it's no big deal, but I can't imagine picking up and moving as a result of someone else's decision. They seem pretty satisfied with their lives, but I'm still getting used to the fact that sometimes your plans don't work out and life takes you completely by surprise. Maybe I've read Invictus one too many times.

Haha, gotcha. I don't read poetry! But still. This wants consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment