Friday, September 21, 2012

Mountain Day 2012: in which nothing goes as planned

Yesterday was Mountain Day! It was really unexpected, because a) it's rarely on Tuesdays or Thursdays and b) this is only the second week of classes. CAROLLLL!!!!
So. My house got a van and a whole bunch of cars, and we drove to a nearby orchard for some apple picking. However, it's still so early in the season that the farmers would not allow us to pick our own apples. Lots of them weren't even ripe. My mother's family motto is "Stick with the original plan," a philosophy that has given me some interesting stories and even more surprisingly fun picnics in various kinds of non-picnic weather, so I was all for clowning around in apple trees and exploring the orchard, but that plan was vetoed. We drove back home and Alice, Steve and I made pumpkin pie. I think I'll post the recipe later, because it was a fantastic pie that was significantly cheaper than the one Steve and I made last year.
Mountain Day may have been unusually early, but it was still really fun. A day ending in pie is a day well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment