Thursday, November 3, 2011

Healthy living

I found out about the blog Zoe and the Beatles through Caroline, and I really enjoy it. Reading about her struggles is really uplifting, and she makes really good points about life in general. I was reading this post a moment ago, and it resonated with me to the point where I immediately started this post right here. Specifically, her message of avoiding "all-or-nothing mode" was resonant.

I was writing down whatever I ate for about three weeks, and then I stopped, pretty much because I kept forgetting. I had convinced myself that if I kept a strict record of everything going into my body, I would stop eating badly out of guilt. It didn't work. Instead, I just felt gross when I looked at my record and realized that my habits hadn't changed at all. It wasn't great.

The funny thing is, when I finally stopped writing down what I was eating, I started to improve my habits. I'm eating granola for breakfast every day because a)it's the only healthy option for breakfast at Smith (the breakfasts are what's kicking my butt), b) it's delicious, and c) I want to make healthy choices. I'm making the right food decisions now, for the right reasons.

Still need to get a more regular workout schedule, though. Hopefully, next semester, I'll be taking jazz twice a week and getting my regular exercise that way.

3 comments:

  1. I hate to tell you this, but granola is not very healthy. Most granola is very high in sugar and fat. You should strive to eat protein at breakfast. Have eggs if they're available, or yogurt or milk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would do a yogurt bowl with fruit, plain yogurt, grapenuts, and a little granola for sweetness. That, plus a boiled egg should keep you full and alert all morning. Also you should eat breakfast at Tyler or Cutter- they have the best options. Chuckett is just junk- tasty junk, but junk nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, ok then. Once again, my sisters are helping me win at Smith. Thanks, guys.

    ReplyDelete