Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Like a boss

Hey hey folks, I am still alive and kicking! But not for long, because it's almost time for:
  1. the first draft of my final essay for Advertising and Visual Culture (won't be too bad because I got to choose the topic),
  2. my final copy of the third essay for Rites of Passage,
  3. my final essay for Rites of Passage,
  4. the final exam for Rites of Passage (have I mentioned how much I hate this class?),
  5. my 15 minute oral presentation for French (which will be about the jazz scene in France. Fairly interesting topic that I got to pick, plus I get to have notecards),
  6. another Physiology of Behavior quiz on Friday.
Today I had an unfortunate realization. Every time I say anything in any of my classes, I blush. For example, today, when my Art History professor asked me to talk about my essay topic in class, I was scarlet. (Maybe this was because my topic is about ads for menstrual products in the forties and today. In that case, I must have looked ridiculous. If you write an essay about something, you should be able to have a casual conversation about it without blushing yourself into oblivion.) In French, when my professor reminded me that I had forgotten to skip lines in my assignment, I must have blushed a lot because he looked a little disarmed. That's his expression any time I say anything in that class, which could either be due to surprise that I spoke and am not totally mute or because of my perpetual imitation of un feu rouge.

But I will conquer these obstacles. I will vanquish the fuck out of my demons! Because I can bend the world to my will, and I will avail myself of this power now. I will destroy anything that gets in the way of my success as a human being. (Nobody take this to mean I'm going to kill people. Successful human beings don't commit the murders.)
I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment