Wednesday, November 16, 2011

They all come back

Today there were "chicken wings" for dinner and I missed Buffalo so much I wanted to cry. Say what you like about Buffalo, but our junk food is boss. I won't try to compete with Alice's "California's so awesome" thing she's got going on her Tumblr (because I don't like my competitive side), but I miss my hometown. Smith feels like home now, but Buffalo puts something in that delicious, delicious Lake Erie water that makes you always want to go back. Even though it sucks.
A year or so ago, I mentioned to my mother that if I ever have children, I'll probably raise them in Buffalo, and I think it's a decent plan. Buffalo isn't great, but God knows it could be much worse. Growing up in B-lo was decent. I learned how to use public transportation like a boss and I'm not wigged out by sketchy neighborhoods like my orientation group leader was. (Seriously that was just embarrassing. If you sign up to work for those in need, you should be prepared for a non-ticky-tacky scene.) And I got hella snow days. Plus, I firmly believe in staying close to one's roots, and Buffalo has the church where my great-grandmother got married. That's pretty cool.

To be clear, I'm not planning to move back. I'm simply accepting the extremely likely possibility that I'll end up back in Buffalo. I want to live in other places, but it's still a great place. Maybe I'll return when I retire, maybe after I graduate, but everyone always goes back.

No comments:

Post a Comment