Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Pretty persuasion

When your parents are lawyers, you can't just persuade your way into doing something that they don't want you to do. You have to present a case. I learned this at an early age; I still have a notebook in which I had written out a bulleted argument in an attempt to get my parents to let me transfer to Performing Arts for high school. (They still said no, but I'm actually glad. Honors sucked, but at least now I have viable skills.) I thought I had learned my lesson, but today I made the unfortunate mistake of bringing up J-term without a prepared statement.

Here's the thing. I love my family very much, but I don't want to spend a month at home with nobody to talk to (until 7 p.m.) and nothing to do. I burned a lot of bridges before graduating, the people who were in my class with whom I am still friends will all be back at school by then, and all of my friends who are still in high school will be in musical mode the moment January hits. And while I could always take some dance classes, that would sort of defeat the purpose of staying home to see my family. I have no desire to be a third house cat. Besides, there's a class I could take that would count towards the Exercise Studies minor! Three credits! That is not to be sneezed at.
Any other compelling arguments (for or against)?

3 comments:

  1. J term is boring. And I probably won't be working every day. Plus, if you take dance classes Mum might be less made about your (expensive) new dance shoes that you aren't using. And if you don't stay home for J term she says you have to work at H&F this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed J-Term, but then again it is a good idea to work during breaks if possible.

    ReplyDelete