Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Mortmain's dinner party, remixed

Yesterday was Josie's birthday celebration, and as her present, my beautiful, awesome, tech-savvy girlfriend (who is reading over my shoulder as I write this) and I made her and all of our friends dinner.
Recall that none of my friends can eat anything, but Alice and I conquered this obstacle with aplomb. The menu:
Panang curry


Chana masala (Thank you, Unirondack, for teaching me how to make Indian food)

It was perfect! Everyone could eat at least one dish. Emily, my friend who can't have eggs, apples, grapes, peppers, onions, and so on, could have the curry. Abeer, who is vegetarian and halal and only eats Pakistani food and pizza, ate the chana masala, and Josie, who's gluten-free, soy-free, and dairy-free, could eat everything (provided she ate around the tomatoes in the chana.) It was a beautiful thing.
I'm not great at photodocumentation, but we all took a turn with the camera and while the pictures aren't great, the subjects are.

The birthday girl!

Me and Alice being silly (ok, just me being silly), and Emily, amused with our antics.

Abeer and Amy. What li'l cuties!

The elusive Steve

But I think the most successful part of the meal was the dessert. Emily can basically never have dessert, what with her frustrating food sensitivities, so Alice and I tried especially hard to find a dessert that everyone could have. In the process of our search, we stumbled upon a fantastic website called glutenfreesoyfreevegan.wordpress.com that was the answer to all our problems. This recipe for chocolate cupcakes was amazing! Not only could everyone eat them, they were actually so good people had seconds! I wasn't sure about using avocado in cupcakes, but they were fantastic. My only complaint is that they looked sort of weird. I didn't get a picture, but gluten-free baked goods tend to not change shape at all. Seriously. Sometimes you can see fingerprints.
Try this recipe for the non-food person in your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment