Saturday, December 3, 2011

Wild night

We all have heavy boots right now, but after Alice and I visited Erika last night, we got a relaxing dose of tryptophan from the hot turkey sandwiches at King/Scales and set out for Winter Weekend with Steve and Adriane, first at Cutter, then later at Baldwin. (I had other plans, but a fly went by and that was that.)
We had some time to kill before the party started, so I taught Alice and Kaitlin how to play poker. It wasn't very exciting because they were just learning and weren't really excited about betting or even raising bets, which is kind of important, but now they know how to play and that will be fun. I'm glad my roommate and my girlfriend are on good terms. I pretty much want everyone to be friends all the time, and it's nice when life works out like that.
Then we went to Cutter's Winter Weekend party. It really wasn't very interesting; everybody knew each other and we didn't know anybody, which was kind of grim. There was a chocolate fountain, but apart from that, there wasn't much we could do in terms of raising hell, so we left. The best thing about that party (for me) was that I finally got to wear this amazing dress by Chanel that my mom got at an estate sale for like twenty bucks when I was thirteen that I had never worn anywhere before. (Unless you count my room.)
So we went back to my room, passing Baldwin's truly incredible decorations as we went. (For reals. They were gorgeous. Black and white snowflakes and white Christmas lights. Plus it smelled like chocolate because the committee baked all of the refreshments in our kitchen. Have I mentioned that I live in the best of all possible houses?) There, my friends and I relaxed and I changed out of my very constricting dress. Steve and I had planned on going downstairs when the party started (and it actually sounded really fun) but she, Alice and Adriane had ordered sushi, and when it arrived, nobody felt like going anywhere. So we sat on my floor, eating delicious Chinese and Japanese food, and then everyone but me piled onto my bed.
I should say here that it's a running joke how quickly I become drunk-tired. My friends don't ever sleep, and I actually do, so they laugh at me when I get sleepy around 11 and start comparing myself to a swan and gnawing on Alice's hand. (Not connected.) So my friends kept saying all night that I would crash at 10:30 and get silly.
Imagine my surprise when I pulled up Spotify and started playing Frank Sinatra singing Christmas carols (at Steve's request), and in a matter of minutes, they fell asleep! I was the liveliest of the four of us by the end of the night. They looked so cute with their visions of sugarplums that I let them sleep for a while, but when Kaitlin came back from the party and seemed to want to go to sleep, I had to get them out of my bed.
Here's a tip. The best way to get Steve and Adriane out of your bed, play Alvin & the Chipmunks singing, "Christmas Don't Be Late" as loudly as your laptop will allow. It still wasn't easy; Alice and I had to pull off the covers and sing in their ears, but they got up, all right.
Oh, what a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment