Friday, September 9, 2011

Separate but equal

Both of my sisters went to the college I am currently attending. While I don't see this as a problem, I am still very determined to make my Smif experience unique. However, I will be accepting their advice, which is excellent. This blog will document my college adventures, as I boldly go where thousands of other women and two of my closest relatives have gone before. But it'll be different with me. Right?
.....
Right. Good answer.
So, step one of asserting my differences: I will not be taking Logic 100. This was an inadvertent step. I definitely intended to take the class, but it conflicts with Physiology of Behavior, which I need to take so I can ascertain whether my destiny is to become a Neuro major. Today, I talked to an upperclassman on my floor about Neuro and she was really enthusiastic about the course and said my professor is awesome. However, said conversation took place while she was very drunk, so I won't bank on her word.
Step two (I'm probably going to lose track of these steps or just lose interest in the system, fyi): Today, I auditioned for the advanced ballet class. Ballet is not an interest my sisters have ever really cottoned to, although I bet they'd both be really good if they tried. C is much much stronger than I am, which I think is more important than flexibility, and E tackles everything she does with such intense drive, I'm sure she would force ballet to bend to her will. (However, this strategy never worked for me.) But anyway, I think the audition went fairly well. As per usual, I was the only Cecchetti trained dancer in the room (You can always tell. Vaganova versus Cecchetti is like a chair with claw feet versus the kind of minimalist chairs you always see at Ikea: sleek and utilitarian.), but I didn't mind because a) that made me stand out more, b) Vaganova annoys the living hell out of me, and c) it was a pleasure to be dancing in a real class again, regardless of context. I've missed class.
It's very late (for me; I usually go to bed at 11:30 but my plans fell through) but I'm not tired at all, so I think I'll wrap up this post and compose more playlists in an ineffectual attempt to calm down the butterflies in my stomach. Occupational hazard of lunch in the garden--not that I'm complaining; I wouldn't have been anywhere else for the world.
Today's song: "When My Boy Walks Down the Street," The Magnetic Fields. (Influenced by E.)

2 comments:

  1. you can always take logic 100 next year, if you want, but you don't have to. take it from someone who intentionally stopped going to the same schools as her sister after 8th grade, mostly just i was sick of being called by her name by accident (even 4 years after my teachers had her!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited that this blog exists.
    -Caroline

    ReplyDelete