Thursday, February 2, 2012

All the babytimes

Working with the kiddos at Sunnyside is fun and much much better since I cut back my hours. (On Tuesday I worked from 8-12:30, then had class from 1 to 4:50. It was an insane decision, so now I'm working from 8 to 10:30. Much better.) The kids are adorable. Some of them legit pronounce r's as w's, as in, weawwy for really, which is so cute I thought they were faking it at first.
One of my favorites is Morven, who, although burdened with a stupid name and a boatload of inconvenient allergies, is extremely sweet and thoughtful. On Tuesday, they went to play outside, and she had a big green hat that flopped over and covered up her left eye. These kids are like puppies! And they think I'm hilarious, apparently. Today a few of us were talking about what my job is, and they agreed that my job is to tell jokes. They usually laugh at things that weren't intended to be jokes, but hey, I'll take what I can get. It's a good crowd.
However, Keller lost some points with me today. I was supervising snack and making small talk-- cardinals at the bird feeder, Cheerios, and so on-- when out of the blue, Keller asked me, "Why are your boobs so big?"
I'm sure I blushed, because the second the other kids noticed my discomfort, they all jumped on the bandwagon and started to ask me the same question. It was extremely awkward, and the worst part was that I couldn't think of anything to say. In the end I just said, "New topic!" and they started talking about something else immediately. At least my embarrassment was short-lived.

2 comments:

  1. Morven is a RIDICULOUS name. Are her parents goths?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They seems normal to me. I can't imagine what they were thinking. "Let's take a mediocre girl's name and swap a letter! Then it'll be UNIQUE and therefore good"?

    ReplyDelete