Monday, February 6, 2012

I'm not polite. but I am on TV

As it turns out, Jazz is not nearly so difficult as I was anticipating. Almost everyone took Jazz III last semester, so the teacher knows everybody already, but it doesn't seem like I've missed too much. At least half of the class is in Leading Ladies and I'm the only dance major, which is interesting. My next-door neighbor is in Leading Ladies, and while she has the slightly annoying habit of playing showtunes at all hours (usually when I'm studying), she's nice and I like her. However, these Leading Ladies are either fearful of those who are not their kin or just straight up rude, because they never look at me. And this isn't me imagining things. One of them was in Art History with me last semester and sat next to me every day, but she has yet to say hi, smile, or acknowledge my presence in any way. What is her deal?! It's not like we were buddies or anything, but it was a small class and she obviously knows who I am, so why is it that every day in class, she walks past me rigidly, as though afraid of even glancing in my direction by accident, and sits with her back to me? It's like she took lessons from Alice's roommate.
Women, am I right?

Anyway. Jazz is good and we're doing Fosse right off, which is hard but wonderful. Our next variation is Steam Heat from The Pajama Game! The first class was a little bumpier than I would have liked, but I spent an hour and a half last week nitpicking at exactly what was difficult, and I now have that shit down. It was a wonderful feeling to prepare for the combination that left me totally flummoxed last week (how great is the word flummoxed? It's just the best) and do it perfectly. Laserlike focus, tight technique, and higher extensions than the rude girls in the class. Because what's success without a little schadenfreude?

No comments:

Post a Comment