Saturday, October 22, 2011

Disney Detox

Meet-the-parents dinner was last night. Alice briefed me on her parents back before fall break, and ever since then she seemed to be slowly descending into the abyss of anxiety. I was nervous because her parents have impassioned, two-hour long discussions about the Holocaust and they hate all organized religion, including Unitarian Universalism. (When sharing this detail with my mother, she exclaimed, "But they're the least organized religion ever!" Still counts, though.) I was terrified that I'd accidentally reference going to Mass or owning a cross or being Catholic at any point in my life, which was actually quite likely since I make Catholic jokes a lot. But thankfully, an enjoyable time was had by all! We got Indian food and talked with relative ease and I even managed to keep the conversation going when Alice was out of the room! Thank God for my father's Irish charm and my mother's impeccable conversational skills that I seem to only be able to exhibit when faced with adults. The dinner went well.

After dinner was Disney Detox. It was a rough week for all of us in Baldwin (and those of my friends who don't live here but spend so much time here that they're honorary Baldwinites), what with meeting the parents of significant others, romantic woes, coming out anxiety, massive blood loss and subsequent grotesque bruising, multiple papers due on the same day, and choosing next semester's classes, so I proposed the Disney Detox. It was just all of my friends coming over and watching The Princess and the Frog, but calling it Disney Detox is so much more fun. As it happened, stupid Netflix took The Princess and the Frog off instant play, so we watched Meet the Robinsons instead. Movies and cuddles. This is becoming a Friday night thing. Last week it was Monkey Business. My friends are awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment