Sunday, October 16, 2011

Night on the Quad

Last year, Caroline said she couldn't picture me at a party, and I really couldn't picture it, either. Now I can visualize it...really well. Gardiner's fetish party was last night, and I went. It was my first Smith party, and it was an experience. My friends were mostly dressed as the schoolgirl fetish, but Josie was steampunk (because she's Josie and steampunk is her go-to), Helen was a voyeur, and I was a newsboy. Most of my outfit was Josie's; I borrowed her knee-high platform goth boots that made me six feet tall and a pinstriped corset that I am now in love with. Erika loaned me a pair of shorts and a belt, she and Josie wrote "Extra! Extra!" "Read all about it!" and names of random newspapers on my back and arms, and I had my newsboy cap and a paper in my back pocket. It was a fun costume, but I'm not great at walking in heels. As soon as we got inside, I took them off and danced barefoot.
Oh, God. The line. The line was insane. We got there at 9:15 and it was already packed, and then we waited for two hours in the cold, cold night wearing very little clothing. Abeer was wearing about a third of a shirt, and almost everyone else was wearing corsets. It...perhaps was not the best planning to leave our coats in Morrow. Then the line was packed (which at least made it warmer) and people were cutting shamelessly. You've gotta fight for your right to party. I always thought that was a joke, but it's the sordid truth.
By the time we got inside, two of our friends had left because they were sick of waiting and I was seriously afraid that I was going to freeze. At first, I really didn't enjoy dancing in the dark, smelly room with people having sex all around us, but then the music changed and I realized that I just don't like dubstep. The party was actually kind of fun. Like so many things, it probably would have been more entertaining if I was drunk, but it was pretty fun in my normal state.

No comments:

Post a Comment