Monday, October 10, 2011

Down to brass tacks

Number of applications I now have: Eight (8)
Number of online applications I have sent out: Three (3), including the Unirondack application.
Number of leads to pursue: Two (2) that come to mind, but there were probably more that I forgot about.
Number of applications that are for jobs I want: Eleven (11)
Number of applications that are for jobs I would actually enjoy doing: Five (5)
Number of aforesaid applications that are for or related to food services: Four (4)
Number of hostile old women that got really cranky and unhelpful after being asked for an application: One (1), and frankly, one was plenty. I asked her, "Could I have an application?" and she said, "No." I stopped, confused, until she added, "I don't use applications." I paused, still unsure of where she was going with this, and said, "Okay then. Well, thank you anyway," which she somehow took to mean "I want you to tell me exactly why you wouldn't hire me, even if you were accepting resumes--which you are not-- based on the zero facts you know about me," because that's exactly what she did. Sheesh. Way to be, cranky lady. I wish I could say I'll never set foot in your store again or something dramatic like that, but I'll probably be back. It looked pretty cool in there.
Number of false leads: One (1), which led me to the previously mentioned cranky lady. Thanks a bundle, rival vintage shop worker.
Number of workers with facial piercings: too many to count.
Number of hours I spent wandering downtown inquiring about applications: Three (3)
And finally, number of applications that are for places that are actually hiring people: Four (4), possibly five (5), and if you discount Unirondack, three (3).

No comments:

Post a Comment